by Linh Nguyen
INGREDIENTS (for two people)
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small piece of ginger (approx. 3cm)
- 4 large waxy potatoes
- 1 large aubergine
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- A little sugar
- 500 ml passata (strained tomatoes)
- 200 g oat cream (or normal cream)
- 150 g brown mushrooms
- ½ bunch coriander (optional)
- 1 handful of cashew nuts (optional)
- 3 tbsp blanched, ground almonds (without shells)
- Peel and finely chop the shallots, garlic and ginger.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into medium-sized cubes. Wash and clean the aubergines and also cut into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large pot. First add the shallots to the pot and sauté briefly, then add the garlic and ginger and sauté until everything is fragrant/ smells good. Add the potatoes, aubergines, all the spices and a little sugar and stir-fry everything for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the passata and oat cream and bring to the boil (if the sauce is too thick, pour in a little water). Reduce the heat, season the curry with salt and cover the pot. Cook the curry over a medium heat for about 20 minutes (it should not boil too much).
- Meanwhile, clean the mushrooms and cut them into quarters. Wash and chop the coriander. Coarsely chop the cashew nuts.
- When the potatoes are done, stir in the ground almonds. Then add the mushrooms. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season the curry to taste. Divide onto plates or bowls, sprinkle with cashew nuts and coriander. Serve with rice, pita bread or naan bread.
Translated by Joeline O’Reilly